Greenway has partnered with Playhouse Arts and supportive community members and businesses to develop a creative-commerce district in the neighborhood surrounding the Old Creamery Building in downtown Arcata.
The project began in early 2012, and has since engaged hundreds of participants in collaborative visioning and arts engagement through a series of planning meetings and special community events. The effort has also supported local artists through the installation of several pieces of public art, demonstrations of performance art, and marketing events for art sales.
The goals of the initiative include:
- Clustering creative industries
- Implementing “creative place making” strategies
- Establishing a sustainable organizational structure for the District
- Encouraging economic development through local visitors and tourists
- Engaging stakeholders in grassroots economic development
With many more successful endeavors – past, present and planned for the future – the goings on in the Creamery District have made an unmatched impact on neighborhood vitality and the promotion of community arts.