- Client: Arcata Main Street
- Project Lead: Debi Farber-Bush
- Project Dates: 2013-2014
- Key Services: Event Planning and Coordination, Public Relations, Logistics Management, Sponsor Development
The Arcata Bay Oyster Festival is Humboldt County’s largest single-day festival, drawing over 12,000 people to the Arcata plaza to celebrate the local oyster industry. Previously ranked the seventh best food festival in the world by Away.com, Arcata’s Oyster Festival highlights numerous preparations of local and regional oysters, as well as other foods, contests and music.
Like any project, this event has a number of detailed logistics that must be organized, managed and coordinated. We approached the the 24th annual Oyster Festival with the same strategy we use to implement all our projects. In order to make the event a success, we organized and conducted goal setting meetings and volunteer training, communicated openly and regularly with event stakeholders and the community, and planned and oversaw every detail for the day-of, from contests to clean-up.
In our role as event manager, we prioritized making the 2014 Oyster Festival family-friendly and local-focused, returning it to its place as a flagship event that is a source of community pride. As a result of our efforts, we received a lot of positive feedback both during and after the event.
See more of this project here.
- Increased collaboration with local businesses
- Re-focused Oyster Festival as a family-friendly event
- Highlighted local food, beer, wine, music and food vendors
- Enhanced public safety at event